Keto Diet or ketogenic diet is a low carbohydrate diet much like that of the Atkins diet. The principal idea in the Keto diet is to lose as much bodyweight as possible which is commonly acquired by carbohydrates. So, most of the calories that you usually get from carbohydrates get replaced by protein and fat. The energy level is maintained by taking in more protein and fat and fewer carbohydrates. Studies have shown that health, performance level, and energy level are balanced, and there are wonderful benefits in following the ketogenic diet.
Make it a 2021 New Year Resolution
If you are obese and are serious about reducing your body weight, then switching to the Keto diet is the perfect thing to do. The best part is you can eat most of your favorite dishes when you get to know about the meal plan and the foods that are included in Keto. This year you can give your body healthy and ideal food which will make you lose weight and at the same time stay healthy and energetic. With a little more dedication, discipline, and scheduling, make keto plan a 2021 new year resolution and enjoy the rest of the year happy and healthy.
Know about Keto percentage
If you are keen on losing weight through Keto, then the first thing you should know about is how much protein, fat, and carbohydrate is good. Let us look at the keto percentage in this diet.
- 70 to 80 percent of fat that is 167 grams
- 10 to 20 percent of protein, which is 100 grams
- 5 to10 percentage of carbohydrates, about 25 grams
The key is to keep the carbs lower, especially if you wish to lose weight.
Which foods are Keto-friendly?
When you have made up your mind to follow the Keto diet, get some knowledge about keto-friendly foods, which you can include in your meal plan. The following keto foods can be safely included in your diet plan keeping in mind the percentage in which it should be consumed.
- Meat: Chicken without skin, lean meat, turkey, venison, pork, and grass-fed beef.
- Fish: Fatty fish such as herring, salmon, lake trout, tuna, and mackerel which contains the most omega 3 fatty acids
- Organic eggs from farm-fed country chicken
- Full-fat dairy such as butter, cheese, and yogurt.
- Nuts and seeds like almonds, chia seeds, walnuts, and flax seeds are excellent sources of protein, fats, vitamins, and minerals.
- Healthy oils such as olive oil, coconut oil, and sesame oil are good to be consumed raw. It can get added to salads. You can take a teaspoon of these oils first thing in the morning.
- Low carbohydrate fruits like papaya, berries, avocados, lemons, watermelon, cantaloupe
- Non-starchy vegetables like onions, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, mushroom, bell peppers, lettuce, cauliflower, spinach, and celery.
Include these foods when you plan your keto diet, and nothing can go wrong with these.
Foods you need to avoid in the Keto diet
Certainly, there are foods you need to avoid while on keto. Let’s know about some of them.
- Baked and bread items like white bread, whole wheat bread, cookies, crackers, rolls, and doughnuts.
- Sugary foods like ice cream, chocolates, sweets, candy, and any sweets
- Beverages such as juices, sweetened coffee and tea, soda, and sports drinks
- Grains such as white rice, wheat, oats, cereals are to be avoided
- Starchy Vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, beans, legumes, lentils, kidney beans, and squash
- Sweet Fruits like apples, grapes, pears, bananas, and pineapple
When to eat your keto diet
There are specific times you need to know when and what time you eat your keto to expedite the weight loss process. It is recommended to have at least three meals and two snacks per day. The best way to spread the meals and snacks throughout the day is by eating every three hours. This gives a good amount of protein and fat spread throughout the day. Here is an example meal plan for a day:
- Breakfast: 7 am
- Mid-Day snack: 10 am
- Lunch: 1 pm
- Evening snack: 4 pm
- Supper: 7 pm
This can be changed, and you can fit your three-hour gap meal and snack plan according to your needs.
Thus, you can create your own keto diet considering what foods available in your region and eat as per your scheduled time plan. This diet will help more by reducing your weight, improving your energy level, and increasing your overall health. So, kick start your new year with a keto diet!